Student Voter Registration Day Press Conference on Thursday, March 16
March 15, 2017
The NYC Campaign Finance Board, City Council, the New York Immigration Coalition and the NYC Department of Education will hold a press conference on March 16 to announce plans for New York City's biannual Student Voter Registration Day (SVRD). SVRD is a one-day program held in 60+ public high schools across the city to help students register to vote and educate them about civic participation.
WHAT: Co-sponsoring partners will hold this press conference a day before SVRD takes place. Community-based organizations and officials from co-sponsoring agencies will speak about the importance of the youth vote and youth civic engagement.
WHY: With critical municipal elections, including the election of New York’s Mayor and other citywide positions, coming up this year, SVRD aims to encourage students to take charge of their civic destinies.
WHEN: Thursday, March 16th at 1:00 p.m
WHERE: City Hall Steps, Manhattan
- City Council Member Helen Rosenthal
- Steven Choi, Executive Director, the New York Immigration Coalition
- Onida Coward Mayers, Director of Voter Assistance, the NYC Campaign Finance Board
- Yolanda Torres, Executive Superintendent of the Division of Family and Community Engagement, the NYC Department of Education
- Community-based organization partners
- Katherine White, New York Immigration Coalition - email@example.com, 973-970-4570 (cell)
- Samantha Van Doran, New York Immigration Coalition - firstname.lastname@example.org, 845-224-4638 (cell), 212-627-2227 x234 (office)
Follow SVRD events and participate in the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #YouthVoteNYC.
NYC Votes is the nonpartisan voter engagement initiative of the New York City Campaign Finance Board (CFB) and its Voter Assistance Advisory Committee (VAAC). In addition to promoting voter registration, participation, and civic engagement in New York City through its many NYC Votes programs and partnerships, the CFB sponsors the city’s official Debate Program and produces the citywide Voter Guide.